So, as a parent of a daughter with "Special needs" or a "disability", or whatever the hell you wanna call it, I often wonder what is all really means... I mean we can't seriously think that she really has such special needs, if you look at her she may look different, but she isn't really all that different from her cousin, is she? To me special needs means we have to totally rearrange our life because of her and yeah, when looking to move we had to make sure certain services would be provided, but that isn't much. We also had to decide if we wanted to keep her specialist doctors, but she only has two, so that isn't bad. What are her "special needs?" Does she have any?
One special need she has... she needs to look too damn adorable for her own good,
Another... She just has to have pancakes or waffles in the morning!!
Yet another... She wants the trendiest clothes in the world, to help with need one!
Yeah, not thinking that these needs are all that special, but hey they are what make her tick!!
As I look at her I don't see a child with a disability... I see my daughter who is going to need help with maybe more things than some children and she might have to go to some doctors that her friends don't, but she will look so adorable in the process that who cares!! I also see the little girl that can melt mine and her daddy's hearts! She has opened my eyes to a totally new world that before having her I was aware of, but never wanted much to do with. She has taught me how to love deeper and with more of my heart than I ever thought possible!!
She has also taught me that there are some ignorant people out there. The people that at the airport looked at her as she was falling asleep and then looked back at me with a look of terror as they realized that she is "different"! Wow, that is a look I will never forget! Or the sympathetic looks I get from people who know me, I just want to shout, "She got down syndrome, not the black plaque!! I promise it is ok!!" She has opened my eyes and heart and for that I can never repay her!
I know why God blessed me with my little angel and I am so grateful!! So, is it hard to have a child with a "disability"? Yes, but I feel it is even harder to be without her! She is my everything!! And she has made my life more blessed than I could have even imagined!! I always wanted to make a difference and now I get to because I had her!
No comments:
Post a Comment