Saturday, December 25, 2010

The R-word...

So, today I heard a family member use the term retard. After being asked not too, she used it again and again was asked not too. Now, I understand and have been struggling with the use of the r-word. I know that I have used it in the past quite frequently and after becoming a teacher, really had to focus on not using it. Yes, it is a medical term, however, it is not used in those terms anymore. When the word originated it was meant to be used to describe something slower or a person who was delayed.
I am honestly ashamed to say that I used to use that word to describe people, things and anything that I felt was "stupid" or "dumb." After having my daughter, I still wasn't fully convince that this word was so horrible. But then I woke up and saw the world for what it was when it comes to this word. People have taken this word and made it such a derogatory word that it can't even be used by the medical community anymore. Our society has taken this word and I have watched it be used to put people down.
When we are using this word we have to think about who is being affected by it. Of course, my daughter is not a "retard" and I know that when other people are using it they are not referring to her, but if you think about all those people out there who have a disability who have been called this and taunted with it because of ignorance, that is when it is awful! And even if we are using it to describe that guy who just cut us off when we are driving or a bill we don't want to pay, kids are still learning it is an appropriate word to use when putting people down. Then they come to school, a play ground or a place where kids are and call their "friends" a retard or maybe they see a child who is different then them or talks different and call him or her a retard. Then they make it a little worse and start taunting him or her and adding "aw look at the poor little retard is crying!" And continue and continue because their friends think it is funny. This is why when looking at this word it is offensive. It was meant as a medical term to describe a slow person or a person who is delayed and take out of context and made into a terrible and hurtful word!
Now after typing this, I want to make sure everyone is aware that my parents never used this word in my presents. I am not sure where I learned to use this word, but that just proves my point that it can come from anyone stating it. This word is considered acceptable to use in our society and we really need to take a step back and reconsider how this word is affecting those who are the most susceptible.

1 comment:

  1. I have hated that word for as long as I can remember. Keep standing up! We have to educate people to make sure they understand!

    ReplyDelete